ore-sama 俺様 is the over-the-top combination of the first person pronoun, ore-sama means the same thing as ore, "I," "me," in English, except it's ridiculously pompous and people would only use it in real life as a joke.

Which means it's mostly a trope used in manga and anime. (just like

Manga: School Rumble

  • ore-sama ni
    fukujuu se yo.

    俺様に 服従せよ。
    • Submit to me.
    • I command thee to submit to THE GREAT ME.
  • e... え…
    Eh...

Characters use ore-sama to imply they're extremely important. It's used by the type of character that would say "I'm the strongest" or "the smartest" or "the bestest" or stuff like that.

Manga: Zatch Bell! / Konjiki no Gasshu!! 金色のガッシュ!!

  • yakamashii'!!! やかましい!!!
    • [You're] "noisy"!!! (literary.)
    • [Stop annoying me!!!]
  • ore-sama ga, nande
    an'na tei-reberu na
    yatsura to tomodachi ni
    nan'nakya
    ikeneendayo'!!?

    オレ様が、なんで あんな低レベルな 奴らと友達に なんなきゃ いけねーんだよっ!!?
    Why do I have to become friends with low-level guys like those!!?

That doesn't mean it's true, though, it just means that's what they think about themselves.

Manga: Dragon Ball

  • ko' kono ore-sama ga
    taishita koto
    nai dato......!!!!

    こっ この オレさまが たいしたこと ないだと……!!!!
    Th-- this me isn't [a big deal], [you] say......!!!!
  • sou da
    そうだ
    [That's right.]
  • ima no kougeki de
    wakatta

    いまの攻撃で わかった
    With [that] attack [just] now [I] realized.
    (Goku figured Nappa isn't a big deal from how weak his attack was.)

In Japanese,俺様 is the over-the-top combination of the first person pronoun, ore , and the polite honorific suffix sama . Basically,means the same thing as, "I," "me," in English, except it'spompous and people would only use it in real life as a joke.Which means it's mostly a trope used in manga and anime. (just like kisama 貴様 .)Characters useto imply they're extremely important. It's used by the type of character that would say "I'm the strongest" or "the smartest" or "the bestest" or stuff like that.That doesn't mean it's true, though, it just means that's what they think about themselves.

Post a Comment Blogger Disqus

 
Top